We help students write killer statement of purpose essays and personal statement essays for college. This blog contains helpful and easy to understand tips and pointers on how to write impressive personal statement essays, statement of purpose essays and college application essays. We do not profess to be experts in writing personal statement essays but we have helped students get to their chosen university because of our tips and pointers
Live Chat Support
Monday, August 6, 2012
Common Mistakes Students Make in Writing their Personal Statement Essays
Many students are looking for quality advice on how to write their personal statement essay. There are so many information proliferating in the web that it is simply not possible to read all of them. As a result, students end up committing the same mistakes over and over again in their personal statement essay or statement of purpose essay.
Common mistakes students avoid in writing their personal statement essay or statement of purpose essay:
1. Students have the tendency to mass produce their essays. It is common for students to write the same thing on their college admissions essay which they send to different schools. Personalize your personal statement essay or statement of purpose essay. Make sure that you change at least the name of the school or the person to whom you are sending the essay. It would be disastrous if another school gets hold of a personal statement essay which is supposed to be submitted to another school.
2. Students are cautious about revealing their mistakes on their essays. Be open to the admissions officers. Writing your personal statement essay or statement of purpose essay is your chance to confront your nightmares. Do not be afraid to mention your negative experiences. What the admissions officer wants to know is how you were able to deal with the difficulty you experienced in your life.
3. Students lie about the information they write on their personal statement essay or statement of purpose essay. Be honest and sincere in your personal statement essay or statement of purpose essay. It is a bad idea to state lies in your essay because it is very easy to verify your statements. Make sure that you can back up everything that you write on your statement of purpose essay or personal statement essay.
4. Students try to impress the admissions officers. Avoid trying to impress the admissions officers. Trying to impress the admissions officer does not always work. In fact, it almost always does not work. Instead, try to reveal unpleasant things about yourself and your negative experiences. Focus on what you have learned and emphasize on what you have done or are doing to improve as a person.
5. Students think that they are writing the worst personal statement of essays. There is no best or worst personal statement essay or statement of purpose essay. Every essay is unique because it is based on the student’s experiences. Instead of trying to impress focus on things that distinguishes you from other applicants.
6. Students fail to edit and proofread their essays. Avoid submitting your personal statement essay as soon as you have finished it. You should let at least 24 hours to pass before you read it again and evaluate what you have stated. Take time to edit and proofread your paper. Writing your personal statement essay takes a lot of time.
These are just some of the mistakes that we have seen students commit in writing their personal statement essays or statement of purpose essays. Avoid committing the same mistakes. Learn from what other students have done in the past.